I started teaching swim lessons when I was 12 years old. I passed the life guarding test at the age of 13, although I had to wait until I was 15 to be a certified guard. I was certified to be a Swim Instructor at the age of 18. I worked with summer league swim teams for several summers. Over the course of 10 years I worked with close to 1000 kids ranging in age from 15 months to 18 years old, and even taught a few adults.
I LOVE TO SWIM!!!!! But I HATE going to public pools in the summer. With all my years of working with kids in the water I am too nervous when going to a public pool. I see so many parents and babysitters being negligent or......well.....plain stupid.
So I thought I'd share with you some of my "expertise." I also found this article that everyone who uses a public pool should read. EVERY statement in this article is true and is NOT exhaggerated.
http://www.mnn.com/family/family-activities/stories/14-things-your-lifeguard-might-not-tell-you
TIP #1 - The arm floaties, "water wings," whatever you call them are WORTHLESS. I cannot tell you how often I've seen kids slip out of these things. Plus, they hold kids upright in the water. You can only efficiently swim horizontal in the water. Kids will get tired WAY faster in the arm floaties than in a body-suit floatie.
TIP #2 - Most children are physically capable of swimming by the age of 6 or 7 (many by age 5). Swim lessons should start around age 4 (or earlier if you're around a pool often). If you're child is not swimming by the age of 6, find a new swim instructor!
TIP #3 - Some kids are freaked out by water getting in their face, nevermind fully submerging their face. It is INCREDIBLY difficult to learn to swim if you're scared to get your face wet. Help your kids get over this fear by getting their face wet in the bathtub starting at age 1! Jillian is only 5 months old and I've already started letting water drip down her face when I pour it on top of her head. Do it gently and slowly, and eventually your 2 year old should have no problems going under!
TIP #4 - If your child cannot swim independently, you should be in the pool with them or sitting on the edge of the pool near them. Sometimes big kids (and even adults) don't pay attention to littler kids in the pool. I've seen kids get knocked off the stairs by floats and other people. They go under and flounder, right at the stairs. And, if you're near your kid, chances are you can get to them faster than a life guard can if they get into trouble in the water.
TIP #5 - If you child can't swim, or isn't a very strong swimmer, they should not be in water that is deeper than where YOU can stand unless they have a body-suit floatie that is strapped on. It is NOT easy to rescue a person in deep water, especially when that person is flailing and panicking.
TIP #6 - If you, as an adult, can "swim" but get nervous going under or holding your breath, then you CANNOT "swim" nevermind save a drowning child. If you can't swim well, get some dang swim lessons or make sure your kid stays in water less than 4 feet deep. How tragic it would be that a child dies because the adults at the pool can't swim well.
TIP #7 - Older kids sometimes like to jump from the side of the pool onto floats and boogie boards. I'll admit this is a cool trick and a fun game. But slipping off and having the board fly into another swimmer's head or dunk a little kid in a floatie is not cool. Slipping off the board or float too close the wall and hitting your head on the side of the wall isn't cool either. Please don't do this trick in a crowded pool or a narrow pool.
TIP #8 - Put the sunscreen on BEFORE you get to the pool. It needs at least 15 minutes to soak into the skin before it works. It needs at least 15 minutes to soak into the skin or it will just wash off in the water. Ever looked at the water of a crowded public pool around lunch time? There is a film of oil sitting on the top of it from all the newly-applied-sun-lotion that has just washed off the kids.
TIP #9 - If you've been at the pool for 2 hours or more, and your kid hasn't asked to go to the bathroom, chances are they've gone in the pool or are dehydrated. Parents should be helping their kids remember to go to the bathroom and to drink fluids.
TIP #10 - If you're holding an infant or toddler in the pool, make sure you're aware of how close their face is to the water. I can't tell you how many times I've seen parents get caught up in conversation with other people or caught up watching their older kids and the kid they're holding is gulping for air because the parent isn't paying attention to where the kid's face is in relation the water/waves. This tips sounds like a no-brainer, but I promise you, it happens all the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great tips!
ReplyDelete