Friday, January 25, 2013

Black & Blue

Well, it's been awhile since I've written a blog post.
Promise I'll get one up soon about Christmas and Jilly's birthday.

But for now.......a Landon story......


My brother-in-law and sister-in-law have taken in a "boy" that had aged out of the foster care system before he graduated High School.  And by "boy" I mean a giant football player who is 18-years-old.  Picture the movie "The Blind Side" with Sandra Bullock.....same kind of thing.  His name is Jordan.  He's a really funny guy, and is really good with my niece and nephew, and finds Landon to be quite a trip.

Josh and Landon were discussing something the other day, and I heard the following.....

Josh: "You know Jordan!   The big black guy that lives with Uncle Bear?!"
Landon: "Oh ya.   But I'm talking about GORDON, the big blue guy that's my friend."

So first, let me inform you that "Gordon" is an imaginary friend, that Landon made up after meeting Jordan.

Second, Landon and I have discussed how people have different colored skin.  I think an episode of "Elmo's World" discusses this and we talked about it.  We discussed how some people we know have brown skin or very dark skin. I think Landon even pointed out that when cousin Sean got sunburned at the beach his skin was red!  We discussed how we all have different colored hair and our eyes can be different colors too.  And how cool it is that we all have can look different from each other.

Third, we have never specifically discussed race or referred to someone as "black" or "white." (Well, until this conversation).  Trying to keep the labels to minimum right now, so that attention isn't specifically drawn to differences, and so no awkward 3-year-old comments happen in public.

And so, this all culminates to my son, thinking all colors are equal.....and to why it makes perfect sense that his friend is blue when Jonah's friend is black.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for another post...I have been having withdrawal waiting for you to share your life again!

    ReplyDelete