Monday, May 6, 2013

I'm Gonna Need a Theology Degree

Today Landon, Jillian and I were in the playroom.  They were showing me their "tricks." Things like getting their feet to touch their ears, summer-saults, squinting with their eyes, and other toddler discoveries.

Then, out of no where Landon says, "Hey Mama.  Let's talk about Jesus and the bible."
Me: "Okay....."
Landon: "Who was Judas?"
Me: "Judas?!"
Landon: "Yes."
Me: "Uh, Jesus's friend.  But he wasn't a very good friend.  He told the bad guys where Jesus was and they came and got him and put him on the cross."
Landon: "And then what?"
Me: "Uh.  He was sad."
Landon: "Why?"
Me: "Because it made Jesus sad.  And Jesus died because Judas told the bad guys where Jesus was, so he wasn't being a good friend. He didn't protect Jesus."
Landon: "Why did he make bad choices?"
Me: "Uh.....I guess because he obeyed the Devil, instead of God and instead of being a good friend to Jesus."
Landon: "So Judas told the bad guys and then Jesus died on the cross?"
Me: "Yes."
Landon: "Then what did he do?"
Me: "Er, uh, uhm, he died."
Landon: "Then what."
Me: "I'm not sure buddy."
Landon: "So Judas did what God wanted."
Me: "NO, because he made a bad choice."
Landon: "But God wanted Jesus to die on the cross.  And the bad guys put Jesus on the cross.  And Judas told the bad guys where Jesus was so they could put him on the cross.  So Judas did what God wanted!"
Me: "Uh......Uh.......hmmmmm........it seems that way, but God always wants us to be a good friend and Judas was not being a good friend.  .....  Who were you talking to about Judas?"
Landon: "I don't know.  Nobody.  Hey!  Look at my booboo!"
Me: "Oh thank God."

Seriously?!  Did my three-year-old really just use the Socratic Method and deductive reasoning to ask a super-crazy-difficult theological question?!
I'm seriously gonna need a theological degree to get this kid to adulthood.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! I am seriously impressed!! Start studying girl, you are in so MUCH trouble!!

    ReplyDelete