Friday, June 7, 2013

To Remember #12


  1. During potty training Jillian gets upset when I clean up the pee on the floor.  I was told by a friend that Jillian is "reverse psychologizing my reverse psychology."
  2. The kids are finally old enough for us to attempt to let them have "sleep overs" in each others rooms.  Landon loves to cuddle but often gets annoyed at how much Jillian moves around when falling asleep.
  3. Jillian's answer for many questions is "aDooga" which is her made up word.  She is also a fan of the word "donk."
  4. We often let Landon lead prayers at dinners.  Lately he's been saying "Thank you for this property."  Not sure where he heard this or if he even know what it means, but it's darn cute.
  5. Jillian struggles to say her "p" sound, replacing it with the "f" sound.  "Pumpkin" often sounds like a cuss word.  So now me and Josh and a few friends often say "Pumpkin bread!" instead of a cuss word.
  6. Landon will eat just about any vegetable (raw) if I let him dip it in vinegar.
  7. Just this week it started clicking in Landon's head that I "go to work with" other kids.  He doesn't understand how I can work with kids since kids don't work, they play.  He still seemed skeptical when I explained I help them learn things.
  8. Jillian is currently preferring comfort items of Bunny Lovie, Sheep Lovie, and/or Baby Lion.  But, still has minimal preference or loyalty for one over the other.
  9. Landon is still obsessed with the fact that he is now four-years-old.  He often asks if he's bigger, or taller, or looks different, because he is now four.  He also makes reference to his age at least once a day, in attempt to justify why he can do things and Jillian can't, or in attempt to explain why should be able to do something I have said "no" to.
  10.  A man approached us at church a few weeks ago.  He was in his 60s.  He was an immigrant from Mexico.  Spoke very good English.  He told us that he moved to the US not for money, but for his kids to have the opportunity to get a good education.  He said he is "still fairly poor," but one daughter is a lawyer and the other is an accountant.  He said "God created everyone in His image, with His intelligence, and anyone can learn if given the opportunity at good education."  With all that's going on in debates about immigration and education and taxes and scandals, etc. I was reminded that America is GREAT among countries and in the history of the world because of the opportunities that are here, and the people willing to sacrifice to just have access to the opportunities.  And how thankful I am that somewhere down the line my ancestors immigrated from other countries for the chance at American Opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment