At bedtime last night I told Landon we needed to say special prayers for our two friends that lost their moms. As I expected, Landon had quite a few questions.
How did they die?
But how?
Why did they die?
How did they get to heaven?
Then he said, "I want to die. I want to go to heaven."
He also said, "I want to die with you. And with Daddy and Jillian too. So we can all go to heaven together."
My first reaction was ---- this is a bit creepy!
But it quickly turned to peace and thankfulness.
Peace that my son trusts in the vision of heaven. Peace in the fact that he wants to go to heaven and wants those he loves to go to heaven. And thankfulness that we have Faith. And thankful that our efforts to teach our children about God, and Jesus, and Salvation, and Faith, and Heaven are taking root.
I explained that I want to go to heaven too. But that God wants us to be on Earth right now. Living and growing and learning and telling others about Jesus. Landon then said, "When I go to school, I'll tell the other kids about Jesus."
I was impressed with this response. I haven't spoken to him about evangelization before. I haven't taught him about "sharing the gospel." (maybe Josh has?) But the first time I do he translates that into talking to other kids at school about Jesus.
We'll see where that takes us..... I'm sure to interesting places. After all, we live in Baptist country and have signed him up to attend a Methodist Church's preschool; all the while being Roman Catholic. But when you're four-years-old, it's all as simple as Jesus being in Heaven, and having hope and faith in both Jesus and Heaven..........
We'll see what happens when he starts talking about obeying God and obeying the Devil and the choices we make......as he often discusses at home. AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
As I am reading this, I am seeing the picture of the handprints on the back of your couch and I am reminded that even one as wise as Landon can still be the kid he is...gotta love it!
ReplyDelete