Thursday, November 25, 2010

Sanity's View of Pregnancy

When I am not overwhelmed by horomones, when I'm not suffering from lack of sleep, when I'm able to walk more like a person than a penguin, I generally have a sane view of pregnancy.  As I approach the last few weeks of my second pregnancy I'm having some not-so-sane views of pregnancy.  So, I thought I would post some of my sane thoughts & feelings about this whole thing before the onslaught of posts from my pregnancy-induced insanity begin.

I believe that pregnancy is a wonderful gift and an absolute honor.  To allow God to use my body to create another object of His love, another person to glorify His name, another person to help build His Kingdom .... it really just leaves me speechless to think of the immense responsibility and grace that comes with cooperating with Him in this way.

I believe that life starts at conception, at the joining of the sperm and the egg.  I believe that God breathes life into a new human at this very moment.  I believe that God literally enters a woman's body to create and breath life into a unique expression of His image.  I am in awe that God so greatly desires to share His divine love that He has entered my body twice to create two unique expressions of His image.  Two images that without my cooperation, without my sacrifice, would not exist.  I am in awe of this incredible act, of this incredible idea - God has breathed life into a new human inside my womb.  I am thankful for the trust, the gift and the journey He has blessed me with.

While I was pregnant with Landon, a friend pointed out that I had two guardian angels with me at all times while pregnant.  [This was when my relationship with Landon's guardian angel started to take hold :) ].  While pregnant I have two souls in my body.  And as a Eucharist-loving-Catholic, I believe by participating in the Mass and consuming the Eucharist, I am able to share Christ with my child before he/she even takes a breath in this world.  --ALL so stinkin' COOL!!--

While I find pregnancy to be a great honor and a great gift, I also know it comes with great sacrifice.  Body aches, horomones that trigger nausea and headaches, avoiding certain foods, stretch marks, heart burn, insomnia, exhaustion, swelling, and the dreaded "pregnancy nose."  And then there's labor and the pain, and in all honesty - trauma!  The Father donates ONE cell, the Mother supplies the rest -- the oxygen, the nutrition, the space.  But it's all worth it! To cooperate with God to bring an absolute miracle into the world. To participate in what only a woman's body was designed and created to do.  It is all worth it, it is all an honor.

So, as the future posts come regarding preganncy, and there is sarcasm, negativity, and complaining involved, please remember this post and my SANE view of pregnancy!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I'll go ahead and print off a copy of this post so that Josh can pack it in the hospital bag for you to review when needed. ;)

    ReplyDelete